Stevie Nicks has been busy touring of late so it was quite a surprise to learn she had performed a new song, ‘Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go‘, for the forthcoming Naomi Watts film The Book Of Henry. It’s been quite a month for Fleetwood Mac fans, with Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie having recently recorded their first duets album, featuring the other two non-Stevie members of the classic Rumours lineup.
Guster’s Jerry Ostow co-wrote the song, and detailed on Facebook, in point form, how the entire thing came to be:
I’m not really sure how to tell this story so lets start by not burying the lede:
STEVIE NICKS SANG A SONG I WROTE AND IT HAS BEEN ONE OF THE GREATEST EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE.
It’s sort of a windy tale so here’s a bullet point version if you want it! Strap in!
1) my buddy Colin Trevorrow asked me to write a song for Naomi Watts to sing in his movie The Book Of Henry (which she does, twice!)
2) I recorded a version of the song for the end credits with Thomas Bartlett
3) Colin asks who I think should sing it- “Stevie Nicks, der.”
4) 24 hours later: “Stevie is in”
5) Record the orchestral outro at abbey road in London with a 100-piece orchestra (nbd)
6) spend a night at a studio in LA hanging with STEVIE FUCKEN NICKS while she records her vocals
7) ask her to take a selfie at the end because I had to and because she is, without question, one of the coolest and most radical souls to ever visit planet earth
Check out the song below.